Add some horsepower to your earning power.
Western States ThinkBIG Program
This Caterpillar-sponsored program supported by Western States Cat and three other Northwest dealers provides you with Caterpillar-specific training including eight semesters of classes at Portland Community College (PCC) and 8-12 weeks of rotating internships at assigned Western States shops throughout the region.
Dates: First eight-week internship starts in July, classes start in September
Length: 24 months (rotating, eight weeks at PCC then 8-12 weeks at a Western States Cat regional location)
Paid/Unpaid: 8-12 week internships are paid
Costs: Tuition, fees, housing, books, etc. (Financial aid available, if qualified.)
Degree: Associate’s of Applied Science – Diesel Technology
- High School diploma or GED prior to program start date.
- High school seniors getting ready to graduate from high school are also eligible to apply.
- Complete ThinkBIG application
- Successful completion of the COMPASS test
- Completion of the AED technical assessment
- Successful completion of hands-on mechanical aptitude test
- Personal interview
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Must meet all PCC college entrance requirements
- The application process starts in September.
- Go to Western States Cat Careers.
- Click on the Current Job Openings and search for the Western States CAT Technician Program.
- Submit your online application, being sure to fill out the application completely. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Once your application is submitted, you will be contacted by the
Western States Cat Employment Coordinator. He or she will discuss
the program in more detail and will explain the next steps in the
process which include:
- applying for admission at PCC
- taking the COMPASS test
- providing three letters of recommendation
- taking a hands on mechanical aptitude test, and
- scheduling an interview
- Successful candidates will be notified that they have been accepted into the program and will be scheduled to start in July/August.